Thursday, March 29, 2007

Cephalus and Procris

For my story from Ovid's Metamorphoses, I chose the story of Cephalus, Procris and Aurora.
This story illustrates that the saying that "it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all", is indeed false.
I just love a tale that is void of fairies. This makes tale calls to me because women spend so much time obsessing as young girls over our Cinderella weddings to realize that we never actually saw her live happily ever after. Look at Princess Diana. I love how it shows the effects of jealousy on an otherwise happy, content, and sane woman. This story shows just how crazy love makes a person. I beleive that love is the most dangerous element in the universe. This story is also a great representation of how lack of communication is the cause of the death of all marriages, not just unhappy ones. Procris makes me want to call out to her, "just ask him who he is calling to in the middle of the wood." I mourn for the loss of her life, but not for the man who took it. I think that the story also illustrates that you shouldn't try to fix something that isn't broken.





No comments: